Subject: bug#30423: separate flymake into latex-flymake.el

From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 14:59:18 -0600

On Tue 20 Feb 2018 at 14:17, Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Alex Branham <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Sun 18 Feb 2018 at 14:14, Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a reason why you didn't add this file to Makefile.in in order
>>> to get byte-compiled?
>>
>> No, I'll do that too.
>
> I did this one just now.

Great, thanks!

> May I point your attention to this thread?
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2018-02/msg00019.html
>
> Maybe you could help out.

I'd be glad to, but he doesn't say how it's affecting auctex. I don't
seem to be able to see his email either. Can you email him and cc me?

>>> And could you please add something to the manual?
>>
>> Yes, I'd be more than happy to. Where should it go? Is a new node in the
>> "Display" chapter ("Controlling Screen Display") OK or should it go
>> somewhere else?
>
> The manual has a section "4.4 Checking for problems"[1].  Does it fit
> better?  WDYT?

Sounds great, here's a small patch. I also added the copyright header
and fixed that one quote.

Thanks!
Alex

>From 5021d84fe1b96344053175a26e067a264ff99c11 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 14:55:52 -0600
Subject: [PATCH] Improve flymake documentation

* doc/auctex.texi: Add Flymake support to manual

* latex-flymake.el: Add copyright notice and fix a quote
---
 doc/auctex.texi  | 28 ++++++++++++++++++++--------
 latex-flymake.el | 24 +++++++++++++++++++++++-
 2 files changed, 43 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/auctex.texi b/doc/auctex.texi
index 08cfe040..ec328d06 100644
--- a/doc/auctex.texi
+++ b/doc/auctex.texi
@@ -3831,24 +3831,36 @@ will be used regardless of the value of this variable.
 @cindex Running @code{chktex}
 @cindex Style
 @cindex Problems
+@cindex Flymake
+@cindex Running Flymake

 Running @TeX{} or @LaTeX{} will only find regular errors in the
 document, not examples of bad style.  Furthermore, description of the
 errors may often be confusing.  The utilities @code{lacheck} and
 @code{chktex} can be used to find style errors, such as forgetting to
 escape the space after an abbreviation or using @samp{...} instead of
-@samp{\ldots} and other similar problems.  You start @code{lacheck} with
-@kbd{C-c C-c Check @key{RET}} and @code{chktex} with @kbd{C-c C-c ChkTeX
-@key{RET}}.  The result will be a list of errors in the
+@samp{\ldots} and other similar problems.  You start @code{lacheck}
+with @kbd{C-c C-c Check @key{RET}} and @code{chktex} with @kbd{C-c C-c
+ChkTeX @key{RET}}.  The result will be a list of errors in the
 @samp{*compilation*} buffer.  You can go through the errors with
 @kbd{C-x `} (@code{next-error}, @pxref{Compilation,,,emacs,The Emacs
 Editor}), which will move point to the location of the next error.
+Alternatively, you may want in-buffer notation.  AuCTeX provides
+support for this using the Flymake package in Emacs 26 or newer
+(@xref{Using Flymake,,,Flymake,GNU Flymake} for details).  To enable,
+call @kbd{M-x flymake-mode} in the buffer or enable it in all buffers
+by adding this to your init file:

-Each of the two utilities will find some errors the other doesn't, but
-@code{chktex} is more configurable, allowing you to create your own
-errors.  You may need to install the programs before using them.  You
-can get @code{lacheck} from
-@file{<URL:ftp://ftp.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/lacheck/>} and
+@lisp
+(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'flymake-mode)
+@end lisp
+
+Note that AuCTeX currently only provides support for using
+@code{chktex} as the flymake backend.  Each of the two utilities will
+find some errors the other doesn't, but @code{chktex} is more
+configurable, allowing you to create your own errors.  You may need to
+install the programs before using them.  You can get @code{lacheck}
+from @file{<URL:ftp://ftp.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/lacheck/>} and
 @code{chktex} from
 @file{<URL:ftp://ftp.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/chktex/>}.

diff --git a/latex-flymake.el b/latex-flymake.el
index e77e0591..265eeb5b 100644
--- a/latex-flymake.el
+++ b/latex-flymake.el
@@ -1,11 +1,33 @@
 ;;; latex-flymake.el --- Flymake integration  -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-

+;; Copyright (C), 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
+
+;; Maintainer: [email-masked]
+;; Keywords: tex
+
+;; This file is part of AUCTeX.
+
+;; AUCTeX is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
+;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
+;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option)
+;; any later version.
+
+;; AUCTeX is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
+;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
+;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
+;; General Public License for more details.
+
+;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
+;; along with AUCTeX; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the Free
+;; Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
+;; 02110-1301, USA.
+
 ;;; Commentary:
 ;; This file provides flymake integration for latex documents using
 ;; "chktex" as a backend.  You must be running Emacs 26 or newer.
 ;; Enable it by adding the following to your init file:

-;; (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook flymake-mode)
+;; (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'flymake-mode)

 ;;; Code:

--
2.16.2

>From 5021d84fe1b96344053175a26e067a264ff99c11 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 14:55:52 -0600
Subject: [PATCH] Improve flymake documentation

* doc/auctex.texi: Add Flymake support to manual

* latex-flymake.el: Add copyright notice and fix a quote
---
 doc/auctex.texi  | 28 ++++++++++++++++++++--------
 latex-flymake.el | 24 +++++++++++++++++++++++-
 2 files changed, 43 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/auctex.texi b/doc/auctex.texi
index 08cfe040..ec328d06 100644
--- a/doc/auctex.texi
+++ b/doc/auctex.texi
@@ -3831,24 +3831,36 @@ will be used regardless of the value of this variable.
 @cindex Running @code{chktex}
 @cindex Style
 @cindex Problems
+@cindex Flymake
+@cindex Running Flymake
 
 Running @TeX{} or @LaTeX{} will only find regular errors in the
 document, not examples of bad style.  Furthermore, description of the
 errors may often be confusing.  The utilities @code{lacheck} and
 @code{chktex} can be used to find style errors, such as forgetting to
 escape the space after an abbreviation or using @samp{...} instead of
-@samp{\ldots} and other similar problems.  You start @code{lacheck} with
-@kbd{C-c C-c Check @key{RET}} and @code{chktex} with @kbd{C-c C-c ChkTeX
-@key{RET}}.  The result will be a list of errors in the
+@samp{\ldots} and other similar problems.  You start @code{lacheck}
+with @kbd{C-c C-c Check @key{RET}} and @code{chktex} with @kbd{C-c C-c
+ChkTeX @key{RET}}.  The result will be a list of errors in the
 @samp{*compilation*} buffer.  You can go through the errors with
 @kbd{C-x `} (@code{next-error}, @pxref{Compilation,,,emacs,The Emacs
 Editor}), which will move point to the location of the next error.
+Alternatively, you may want in-buffer notation.  AuCTeX provides
+support for this using the Flymake package in Emacs 26 or newer
+(@xref{Using Flymake,,,Flymake,GNU Flymake} for details).  To enable,
+call @kbd{M-x flymake-mode} in the buffer or enable it in all buffers
+by adding this to your init file:
 
-Each of the two utilities will find some errors the other doesn't, but
-@code{chktex} is more configurable, allowing you to create your own
-errors.  You may need to install the programs before using them.  You
-can get @code{lacheck} from
-@file{<URL:ftp://ftp.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/lacheck/>} and
+@lisp
+(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'flymake-mode)
+@end lisp
+
+Note that AuCTeX currently only provides support for using
+@code{chktex} as the flymake backend.  Each of the two utilities will
+find some errors the other doesn't, but @code{chktex} is more
+configurable, allowing you to create your own errors.  You may need to
+install the programs before using them.  You can get @code{lacheck}
+from @file{<URL:ftp://ftp.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/lacheck/>} and
 @code{chktex} from
 @file{<URL:ftp://ftp.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/chktex/>}.
 
diff --git a/latex-flymake.el b/latex-flymake.el
index e77e0591..265eeb5b 100644
--- a/latex-flymake.el
+++ b/latex-flymake.el
@@ -1,11 +1,33 @@
 ;;; latex-flymake.el --- Flymake integration  -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-
 
+;; Copyright (C), 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
+
+;; Maintainer: [email-masked]
+;; Keywords: tex
+
+;; This file is part of AUCTeX.
+
+;; AUCTeX is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
+;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
+;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option)
+;; any later version.
+
+;; AUCTeX is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
+;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
+;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
+;; General Public License for more details.
+
+;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
+;; along with AUCTeX; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the Free
+;; Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
+;; 02110-1301, USA.
+
 ;;; Commentary:
 ;; This file provides flymake integration for latex documents using
 ;; "chktex" as a backend.  You must be running Emacs 26 or newer.
 ;; Enable it by adding the following to your init file:
 
-;; (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook flymake-mode)
+;; (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'flymake-mode)
 
 ;;; Code:
 
-- 
2.16.2