Subject: bug#30408: More context in `read-integer-overflow-as-float'?

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 08:29:10 +0200

As suggested in `read-integer-overflow-as-float' docstring:

  Non-nil means ‘read’ quietly treats an out-of-range integer as
  floating point.  Nil (the default) means signal an overflow unless
  the integer ends in ‘.’.  This variable is experimental; email
  [email-masked] if you need it.

(Note that the last sentence is a bit ambiguous: does "if you need it"
refer to sending an email or to the variable?)

Apparently I need (setq read-integer-overflow-as-float t) since I've
been hit by bugs here.  But what are the consequences of setting this
to `t', aside from silencing a few errors?  What is the usefulness of
not setting it to `t'?  What is the experiment about?  Can I get rid
of this setting when the experiment is over?

Since `read-integer-overflow-as-float' is the entry point for those
who are not aware of the experiment, some guidance in the docstring
might be useful.

Thanks,

-- 
 Bastien