Subject: bug#30405: closed (Re: bug#30405: 26.0.91; Incorrect apostrophe translation in ImageMagick error message)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 12:30:03 +0000

Your bug report

#30405: 26.0.91; Incorrect apostrophe translation in ImageMagick error message

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30405: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30405
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30405: 26.0.91; Incorrect apostrophe translation in ImageMagick error message
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 14:29:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 21:58:30 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Fixing the original problem without losing the effect of this
> variable is easy

Fixed.

I'm marking this bug done now.

Subject: 26.0.91; Incorrect apostrophe translation in ImageMagick error message
From: Gemini Lasswell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 13:13:18 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I try to resize an image using an Emacs built without
ImageMagick, either with emacs -Q or my full config, the apostrophe in
the error message is not displayed correctly. To reproduce:

C-x C-f path/to/image-file.jpg RET
+

Result: The error "Can^Yt rescale images without ImageMagick support"
appears in the echo area.

When I define this little command and run it:

(defun my-command ()
  (interactive)
  (error "Can't do this"))

then the typographically correct apostrophe appears in the echo area.

In *Messages*, the first error message appears as:

Can\342\200\231t rescale images without ImageMagick support

although now in report-emacs-bug's message composition buffer, I see
the typograpically correct apostrophe.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.21)
 of 2018-02-09 built on localhost
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11905000
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Type C-c C-c or C-c C-x to view the image as text or hex.
image--get-imagemagick-and-warn: Can’t rescale images without ImageMagick support
Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/y06nnna2nzr4fx1pbigs67hbjm396ijn-emacs-26.0
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY LIBSELINUX
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES
THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Image[jpeg]

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils map seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib image-mode
easymenu elec-pair time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded
nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97112 7073)
 (symbols 48 20569 1)
 (miscs 40 47 79)
 (strings 32 28786 1005)
 (string-bytes 1 777748)
 (vectors 16 15028)
 (vector-slots 8 504094 7678)
 (floats 8 58 59)
 (intervals 56 209 0)
 (buffers 992 12))