Subject: bug#30405: 26.0.91; Incorrect apostrophe translation in ImageMagick error message

From: Gemini Lasswell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 13:13:18 -0800

When I try to resize an image using an Emacs built without
ImageMagick, either with emacs -Q or my full config, the apostrophe in
the error message is not displayed correctly. To reproduce:

C-x C-f path/to/image-file.jpg RET
+

Result: The error "Can^Yt rescale images without ImageMagick support"
appears in the echo area.

When I define this little command and run it:

(defun my-command ()
  (interactive)
  (error "Can't do this"))

then the typographically correct apostrophe appears in the echo area.

In *Messages*, the first error message appears as:

Can\342\200\231t rescale images without ImageMagick support

although now in report-emacs-bug's message composition buffer, I see
the typograpically correct apostrophe.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.21)
 of 2018-02-09 built on localhost
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11905000
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Type C-c C-c or C-c C-x to view the image as text or hex.
image--get-imagemagick-and-warn: Can’t rescale images without ImageMagick support
Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/y06nnna2nzr4fx1pbigs67hbjm396ijn-emacs-26.0
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY LIBSELINUX
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES
THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Image[jpeg]

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils map seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib image-mode
easymenu elec-pair time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded
nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97112 7073)
 (symbols 48 20569 1)
 (miscs 40 47 79)
 (strings 32 28786 1005)
 (string-bytes 1 777748)
 (vectors 16 15028)
 (vector-slots 8 504094 7678)
 (floats 8 58 59)
 (intervals 56 209 0)
 (buffers 992 12))