Subject: Re: bug#30402: ldconfig confusion

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 21:12:17 +0000

On 9 February 2018 at 20:41, Roumen Petrov <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Reuben Thomas wrote:
>
>> I just noticed that on my GNU/Linux system (and on stock Ubuntu 14.04,
>> which is where I first encountered this), I need to run
>>
>> ldconfig
>>
>> after installing shared libraries built with libtool. I was confused at
>> first, because libtool itself runs
>>
>> ldconfig -n $(libdir)
>>
>> But I guess because this does not update the cache, it doesn't make the
>> library available.
>>
>
> I'm not sure.
>
> I just run one of my tests - build of binary with shared library and and
> installation into one system default paths for shared libraries.
> Result:
> - ldconfig -p does not show new library
> - ldd binary shows library
> - binary is executed properly
>

​
​Thanks for this.

In my tests, ldd binary did not show the library, and the binary was not
executed properly. Also, the library did not show up with ldconfig -p, but
of course that is the expected result after running only ldconfig -n.

​I obtained these results both on my personal Ubuntu 16.04 system (but of
course there could be some oddity with the configuration), and, more
convincingly, with fresh Ubuntu 14.04 as used on Travis CI (I had my Travis
build run ldd on the binary, and the library was shown as not found;
running "sudo ldconfig" made the library found).

So, it could be some oddity (so far, it looks like a bug) with Ubuntu
systems in their default configuration.​

Does anyone have any further suggestions for things I can test? In any
case, it looks like a bug report to Ubuntu may be warranted; Roumen, could
you possibly tell us what sort of GNU/Linux system you are using?​

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org