Subject: nscd segfaults on attempt to ssh to .local host

From: George myglc2 Clemmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 13:17:31 -0500

nscd segfaults on attempt to ssh to .local host ...

g1@g1 /root/con/30$  ssh e3a.local ; date
ssh: Could not resolve hostname e3a.local: Name or service not known
Thu Feb  8 13:06:23 EST 2018

g1@g1 /root/con/30$ cat /var/log/messages | tail
Feb  8 13:06:00 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on enp4s0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
Feb  8 13:06:05 localhost dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.
Feb  8 13:06:05 localhost dhclient: No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
Feb  8 13:06:23 localhost vmunix: [52360.780268] nscd[23423]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fb14a3c1606 sp 00007fb1446d82d8 error 4 in libc-2.25.so[7fb14a341000+196000]
Feb  8 13:06:24 localhost nscd: 23430 monitoring file `/etc/hosts` (1)
Feb  8 13:06:24 localhost nscd: 23430 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)
Feb  8 13:06:24 localhost nscd: 23430 monitoring file `/etc/resolv.conf` (3)
Feb  8 13:06:24 localhost nscd: 23430 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)
Feb  8 13:06:24 localhost nscd: 23430 monitoring file `/etc/services` (4)
Feb  8 13:06:24 localhost nscd: 23430 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)

g1@g1 /root/con/30$ avahi-browse -p -a | grep e3a
+;enp3s0;IPv6;C5200n\032\064\032e3a;_printer._tcp;local
+;enp3s0;IPv4;C5200n\032\064\032e3a;_printer._tcp;local
+;enp3s0;IPv6;C5200n\032\064\032e3a;_ipps._tcp;local
+;enp3s0;IPv4;C5200n\032\064\032e3a;_ipps._tcp;local
+;enp3s0;IPv6;C5200n\032\064\032e3a;_ipp._tcp;local
+;enp3s0;IPv4;C5200n\032\064\032e3a;_ipp._tcp;local
+;enp3s0;IPv6;e3a\032\091d0\05850\05899\0585b\058d7\0587b\093;_workstation._tcp;local
+;enp3s0;IPv4;e3a\032\091d0\05850\05899\0585b\058d7\0587b\093;_workstation._tcp;local
  C-c C-cGot SIGINT, quitting.

... and when attempting to connect to self ...

g1@g1 /root/con/30$  ssh g1.local ; date
ssh: Could not resolve hostname g1.local: Name or service not known
Thu Feb  8 13:06:57 EST 2018

g1@g1 /root/con/30$ cat /var/log/messages | tail
Feb  8 13:06:24 localhost nscd: 23430 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)
Feb  8 13:06:24 localhost nscd: 23430 monitoring file `/etc/services` (4)
Feb  8 13:06:24 localhost nscd: 23430 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)
Feb  8 13:06:57 localhost vmunix: [52394.019906] nscd[23436]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fd7569b6606 sp 00007fd750ece2d8 error 4 in libc-2.25.so[7fd756936000+196000]
Feb  8 13:06:58 localhost nscd: 23445 monitoring file `/etc/hosts` (1)
Feb  8 13:06:58 localhost nscd: 23445 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)
Feb  8 13:06:58 localhost nscd: 23445 monitoring file `/etc/resolv.conf` (3)
Feb  8 13:06:58 localhost nscd: 23445 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)
Feb  8 13:06:58 localhost nscd: 23445 monitoring file `/etc/services` (4)
Feb  8 13:06:58 localhost nscd: 23445 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)

g1@g1 /root/con/30$ avahi-browse -p -a | grep g1
+;enp3s0;IPv6;g1\032\091d0\05850\05899\0585b\058d7\05855\093;_workstation._tcp;local
+;enp3s0;IPv4;g1\032\091d0\05850\05899\0585b\058d7\05855\093;_workstation._tcp;local
+;enp3s0;IPv6;g1;_sftp-ssh._tcp;local
+;enp3s0;IPv4;g1;_sftp-ssh._tcp;local
+;enp3s0;IPv6;g1;_ssh._tcp;local
+;enp3s0;IPv4;g1;_ssh._tcp;local

g1@g1 ~/src/guix$ guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 0.14.0.1427-26ecb

TIA - George

system config: