Subject: Re: bug#3038: 23.0.91; after-change-functions and indirect buffers

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:06:30 -0500

>> I got this from Eric Ludlam. There seem to be a problem with
>> after-change-functions and indirect buffers. To me this looks like a
>> bug:
>> "Yes, I use after-change-functions.  ...
>> If you edit the base buffer, these functions don't get run in the
>> indirect buffer, but if you edit the indirect buffer, they do get run,
>> but not in the base buffer."
> It doesn't look like a bug to me.  You'll have to explicitly check for
> indirect buffers if that matter to you.

While it "works as designed" I can imagine it breaks lots of code which
assumes that an after-change-function lets you be kept informed of "all"
buffer modifications.
IOW, even if it's not a bug in after-change-functions, it's then a bug
in syntax-ppss, font-lock, and probably many other packages using
after-change-function.

        Stefan

PS: FWIW, I'm not sure indirect-buffers are a good idea.