Subject: bug#3035: 23.0.92; doc, terminology for graphics, display, terminal, etc.

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:09:35 -0400

>> > IMO, using slant for a defined term in print is not too 
>> > good, and having the same appearance for defined terms
>> > and emphasized text (unrelated) is also not too good.
>> AFAIK, it's just common practice for definitions.  The italics is used
>> to emphasize the fact that this term is used with a specific meaning,
>> which is being explained.
> Nope.  Not common practice.

You're simply wrong.  Maybe in the texts you read it's not
common practice.  But in the texts I read it is.

> And that reasoning (defined term is important, so use
> emphasis) is an invention.

Not at all.  A good example would be when you define what a /type/ is.
Or what an /object/ is, in a programming book.  If you don't emphasize
correctly, the reader may end up not noticing/understanding exactly what
term you're defining because that term already has meaning to
the reader.

        Stefan