Subject: Re: bug#30347: smtpmail.el doesn't retry with authentication when greylisting is used

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 19:24:46 +0200

Rainer Orth <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've long been dealing with the following problem: I'm using GNU Emacs
> (current 26.0.91, but the problem has existed for a long time before
> that) and Gnus to send mail.  The relaying MTA uses greylisting when
> receiving mail for local accounts without authentication, but
> smtpmail.el cannot deal with the resulting temporary SMTP codes.  I'd
> expect that it would retry with authentication, but doesn't.
>
> I've used the following snippet to fix this.  Perhaps this (or something
> similar) can be used to fix this issue?

Hm...  Well, the SMTP error message you're getting is "450, Requested
mail action not taken: mailbox unavailable."?  Retrying with a password
seems a bit odd in that instance.  On the other hand, if this is the
common way for SMTP servers to say that "we're greylisting; log in
first" then it would be OK anyway.

But is it?  :-)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no