Subject: [bug#30340] [PATCH 1/6] gnu: qtbase: Use the store paths for other packages and dynamically loaded libs.

From: Hartmut Goebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 16:59:16 +0100

Hi Ludo,
Am 09.02.2018 um 14:43 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> This sounds like a great improvement!

Thanks.
> I don’t understand all of this (does it describe problems or solutions?
> what does it mean “files are not patches”? etc.) and I think we should
> describe the problems/solutions on their own, without “NixOS does this”
> comments, which isn’t really helpful IMO.
>
> As an aside, I think explanations when they’re needed, should go in the
> source, not in the commit log.

My idea is to use the commit message to document: "We reviewed the NixOS
patches as of 2018-01-09, and this is what we decided how to handle the
respective changes." (This might still be worth rewriting.) This will
give confidence that all patches are considered to the ones working on
this next.

In contrast the code comments only document the actual code for the case
one doesn't cares about how/whether the code follows NixOS. (As you
already commented.)

 you mean patches 2, 3, 5 and 6 are unnecessary?

I'm not even sure it we'd better remove all the refernces to NixOs from
this change and only document it in commit messages. We could group
these few commits into a (very short) branch, drop patches 2, 3, 5 and
6, and documenting "considered all NixOS patched: Not needed, … etc." in
the merge-commit:

* Merge branch 'nixos patches for Qt 5.9' into master.
|\
| * gnu: qtserialport: Use the store paths for dynamically
| * gnu: qtbase: Use the store paths for
|/

The comments currently in patch 2, 3, 5, and 6 would into the Merge
commit's message.

WDYT?

> I think you can remove “TODO” here.
ACK.

> Did you notice improvements on KDE applications?

KDE Plasma feels to be more stable with these changes applied. I can't
proof it's these changes, since I have a similar series for KF5.

-- 
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | [email-masked]               |
| www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |