Subject: bug#30339: closed (Re: bug#30339: Gnus hangs on: "Cannot find file in ~/Maildir/IMAPBOX/Sent/cur")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2018 07:36:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30339: Gnus hangs on: "Cannot find file in ~/Maildir/IMAPBOX/Sent/cur"

which was filed against the emacs,gnus package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30339: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30339
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30339: Gnus hangs on: "Cannot find file in ~/Maildir/IMAPBOX/Sent/cur"
From: Bastien Guerry <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2018 08:35:06 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Bastien Guerry <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sadly, I cannot know for sure what was causing the bug.

I'm still unsure.  Cleaning up my inboxes and reducing the size of the
folders seems to go in the right direction, as the bug does not happen
as often now, but it still happens sometimes.

> I will test with the new setup for a while and close the bug if things
> are okay.

I think it is very specific to my setup so I'll mark this done.

-- 
 Bastien

Subject: Gnus hangs on: "Cannot find file in ~/Maildir/IMAPBOX/Sent/cur"
From: Bastien Guerry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (The Gnus Bugfixing Girls + Boys)
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 19:14:33 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I use Gnus v0.14 with Emacs 27.0.50, built from master on 2018-02-01.

I’m syncing three IMAP inboxes using mbsync then read them in Gnus:

(setq mail-sources nil
      gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "Bastien" (directory "~/Maildir"))
      gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnmaildir "imapbox1" (directory "~/Maildir/imapbox1"))
        (nnmaildir "imapbox2" (directory "~/Maildir/imapbox2"))
	(nnmaildir "imapbox3" (directory "~/Maildir/imapbox3"))))

After I run mbsync (manually, when I want to check for new emails),
I run ‘notmuch new’ to index emails.

I manually launch mbsync when I need to fetch new emails.

It worked perfectly until a few months ago.  AFAIK my setup didn’t
change, just the Gnus / Emacs version.

The error I get:

1. I try to send an email.

2. Emacs hangs.

3. It seems a single C-g cannot stop the process.

4. I have to press C-g without releasing the key to get an error
   buffer.  Then I kill the buffer to kill the process that is
   attached to it.

5. The error says that Gnus cannot find a file in a
   "~/Maildir/imapbox1/Sent/cur/" folder.

   When I check, the email is correctly sent, but the mark in the
   local IMAP inboxes looks wrong (I’m not sure). I have this file:

   1517659181.M377519P14211Q0.bzg:2,

   while I would expect something like

   1517659181.M377519P14211Q0.bzg,U=7290:2,S

6. Also, I have this archiving function:

   (defun my-gnus-message-archive-group (group-current)
      "Return prefered archive group."
      (let ((group-prefix (replace-regexp-in-string "[^:]+$" "" group-current)))
        (cond
         ((string-match "data" group-prefix)
    	  (concat group-prefix "Sent"))
         ((message-news-p)
          (concat "nnfolder+archive:" (format-time-string "%Y-%m")
                  "-divers-news"))
         (t "nnmaildir+bzgfr:Sent"))))

7. I have ~7000 files in "~/Maildir/imapbox1/Sent/cur/" and writing
   a new file here might be rather slow (I haven’t properly tested).
   Could the bug be that Gnus is trying to access a file that isn’t
   written yet?
    
8. I guess there is some race condition while writing the sent file or
   something, but I cannot find the conditions on how to reproduce the
   bug.  It happens at least once every hour, rendering Emacs and Gnus
   pretty unusable.

Is anyone having similar problems?

Are there parameters that I can test to track this bug?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ma Gnus v0.14
GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 35, i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2018-02-01

-- 
 Bastien