Subject: bug#3033: 23.0.92; Try to auto fix whitespace loss? (y/n)

From: Leo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 14:24:59 +0100

On 2009-04-18 02:55 +0100, Chong Yidong wrote:
>> When I try to open by drag and drop the attached file, Emacs keep asking
>> me 'Try to auto fix whitespace loss? (y/n)'. No matter y or n, the
>> dialogue will appear again and again until I kill the buffer.
>>
>> I enable whitespace mode using (add-hook 'diff-mode-hook
>> 'whitespace-mode).
>
> I can't reproduce this.  Do you see the bug with a .emacs containing
> only `(add-hook 'diff-mode-hook 'whitespace-mode)' and nothing else?

I have used edebug and error-on-quit to trace the culprit and find a
reproducible recipe. It turns out it has nothing to do with whitespace.

1. emacs -q
2. M-x which-func-mode
3. C-x C-f emacs-gnus-ticked-doc.patch

You should be able to see a dialogue pop up as in this screenshot
http://imagebin.org/46002.

In my experience, I have found which-func-mode to be intrusive and
unreliable. So I guess I will have to disable it to avoid further
trouble.

Best wishes,
-- 
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .: I use Emacs :.

               www.git-scm.com
    git - the one true version control system