Subject: [bug#30329] [PATCH] gnu: emacs: Build with xwidgets support.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 16:58:39 -0500

On Sat, Feb 03, 2018 at 05:48:12AM +0800, Alex Vong wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> This patch adds xwidgets support to Emcas. So Emacs can now display GTK
> widgets. In particular, it can display webpages using webkitgtk.
> 
> Also, I use webkitgtk-2.4 instead of webkitgtk, because xwidgets
> requires libwebkitgtk-3.0 instead of libwebkitgtk-4.0 to
> build.

Webkitgtk is very actively researched and exploited for security
problems. If this use of webkitgtk-2.4 would ever handle untrusted
input, it's not very safe. I don't use Emacs so I'm not sure what the
use case is for webkitgtk.

For examples, you can check the security advisories published by the
Webkitgtk team:

https://webkitgtk.org/news.html

They publish an advisory after every release, and there are always
several fixed bugs allowing code execution by whoever supplies the input
(typically from a remote web server).