Subject: Re: bug#30315: [PATCH] keyboard-escape-quit should give option not to delete windows

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 14:26:14 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > I've always found it a bit odd that ESC-ESC-ESC deletes windows, since I
  > think of it as telling Emacs to "stop doing whatever it is you're
  > doing".

Its intended meaning is "Get me back to the default state of things."
It's meant for people who don't know Emacs very well, to get out of
any kind of temporary state that they might have got themselves into
and don't know the command to get out of,

Splitting into multiple windows is one such temporary state.
So it is right that this gets back to the one-window state.

However, I have no objection to adding this option, if it's
useful enough to justify its added complexity.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.