Subject: bug#30311: efi-less grub install fails

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 22:49:19 +0100

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I don’t understand this patch.  How does it work?
>>
>> What is the effect of replacing /sys/firmware/efi with
>> /sys/firmware/non-efi?
>
> It won't find EFI since it's looking in the wrong place.
>
> That's what we want :)

So the value “/sys/firmware/non-efi” might as well be
“/does-not-exist”?

Your patch subject says “Make sure that non-EFI grub doesn't try to use
EFI”, but the problem I had was that GRUB insisted on being passed a
“--target” option.  That was with a GRUB installation on a system in
legacy mode.  Do you mean that this failed because GRUB erroneously
attempted an EFI installation?

I’m thoroughly confused.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net