Subject: bug#30298: core-updates: Failure to find the guixbuild group

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 17:54:19 -0500

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:38:35PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> The question is why isn’t guix-daemon falling back to loading
> libnss_files and reading /etc/groups directly.

This is my first time poking around this part of the system so I'm not
sure what to expect. Reading the manpage for nsswitch.conf led me to
believe that the libnss_* libraries would be found directly under /lib.
However, on my Debian systems, they are split up by architecture like
this:

$ find /lib -name "*libnss*"
./i386-linux-gnu/libnss_compat-2.24.so
./i386-linux-gnu/libnss_dns-2.24.so
./i386-linux-gnu/libnss_nis.so.2
./i386-linux-gnu/libnss_nisplus.so.2
./i386-linux-gnu/libnss_nisplus-2.24.so
./i386-linux-gnu/libnss_hesiod-2.24.so
./i386-linux-gnu/libnss_files.so.2
./i386-linux-gnu/libnss_hesiod.so.2
./i386-linux-gnu/libnss_files-2.24.so
./i386-linux-gnu/libnss_compat.so.2
./i386-linux-gnu/libnss_dns.so.2
./i386-linux-gnu/libnss_nis-2.24.so
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_compat-2.24.so
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_mdns.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_dns-2.24.so
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_nis.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_mdns_minimal.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_nisplus.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_nisplus-2.24.so
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_mdns4_minimal.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_mdns6.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_hesiod-2.24.so
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_files.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_mdns4.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_hesiod.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_files-2.24.so
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_compat.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_dns.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_mdns6_minimal.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_nis-2.24.so