Subject: bug#30288: 25.3; crashes on "add-to-list orgmode.org/elpa"

From: Ihar Suvorau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 22:56:04 +0300

The rest of the init.el -- sure. Except init.el I have other files which
are included at the bottom. But I send only init.el for now:

;; Added by Package.el.  This must come before configurations of
;; installed packages.  Don't delete this line.  If you don't want it,
;; just comment it out by adding a semicolon to the start of the line.
;; You may delete these explanatory comments.
(package-initialize)

(when (>= emacs-major-version 24)
  (require 'package)
  (add-to-list
   'package-archives
   ;; '("melpa" . "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/") ; many packages
won't show if using stable
   '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/")
   t))
(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
 ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
 ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
 '(ansi-color-faces-vector
   [default bold shadow italic underline bold bold-italic bold])
 '(ansi-color-names-vector
   ["#ded6c5" "#f71010" "#028902" "#ef8300" "#1111ff" "#a020f0" "#358d8d"
"#262626"])
 '(custom-enabled-themes (quote (flatui)))
 '(custom-safe-themes
   (quote
    ("bffa9739ce0752a37d9b1eee78fc00ba159748f50dc328af4be661484848e476"
"fa2b58bb98b62c3b8cf3b6f02f058ef7827a8e497125de0254f56e373abee088"
"718fb4e505b6134cc0eafb7dad709be5ec1ba7a7e8102617d87d3109f56d9615"
"15348febfa2266c4def59a08ef2846f6032c0797f001d7b9148f30ace0d08bcf"
"8665039493a135c48d2f43665103108fc2ad41dd58a1e26dc73de75b8ecbfd3d"
"946e871c780b159c4bb9f580537e5d2f7dba1411143194447604ecbaf01bd90c"
"a24c5b3c12d147da6cef80938dca1223b7c7f70f2f382b26308eba014dc4833a"
"63743f5499643852e14bced8a0d089aa6c578a2e7bbae4d603b6f32c6fae367c"
"e9460a84d876da407d9e6accf9ceba453e2f86f8b86076f37c08ad155de8223c"
"732b807b0543855541743429c9979ebfb363e27ec91e82f463c91e68c772f6e3"
"55ed02951e7b458e4cd18837eefa1956884c9afd22bb514f697fd1d2d1abb3d3"
"3e644bef0aaf755a08cfe62e11a32787af86f9c411b529452bbec44dad7bbeab"
"4f2ede02b3324c2f788f4e0bad77f7ebc1874eff7971d2a2c9b9724a50fb3f65"
"0ee3fc6d2e0fc8715ff59aed2432510d98f7e76fe81d183a0eb96789f4d897ca"
"8db4b03b9ae654d4a57804286eb3e332725c84d7cdab38463cb6b97d5762ad26"
"78559045fb299f3542c232166ad635c59cf0c6578d80a58b885deafe98a36c66"
"0be964eabe93f09be5a943679ced8d98e08fe7a92b01bf24478e56eee7b6b21d"
"1db337246ebc9c083be0d728f8d20913a0f46edc0a00277746ba411c149d7fe5"
"938d8c186c4cb9ec4a8d8bc159285e0d0f07bad46edf20aa469a89d0d2a586ea"
"6de7c03d614033c0403657409313d5f01202361e35490a3404e33e46663c2596"
"ed317c0a3387be628a48c4bbdb316b4fa645a414838149069210b66dd521733f"
"64ca5a1381fa96cb86fd6c6b4d75b66dc9c4e0fc1288ee7d914ab8d2638e23a9"
"251348dcb797a6ea63bbfe3be4951728e085ac08eee83def071e4d2e3211acc3"
"aa56747aa1ec29a2e33ac530e7bbb5319e8541e1782bd5bed7cce227aaa8920c"
"0a97a02db6ce1c607c891985266a334a1b8e7fb2a0aacb37d1ca64e2dae7f9f5"
"ada1c12afd95754bda8011c55f98b2515acaa6ec96dfe06df26a9b1a42443889"
"6d5f84bf24a5278a4bbe2774fd9521b20697a5c2b4890f11fdb12feeb127ce9c"
"dc13cca9dde8f79470dee72960f985a5dfb267b67aacf1676339ba80d4980b91"
"60655ab15d0df290f7829dc9649142eb5f755e3d9b1c25564ee4dd546b761d09"
"3f178620db90dbd1562a53f012fae4d8aa61886edef121ef22a5c818d6538638"
"ddcb3bbaf3ba66b0d5f042d60c191d83b3af7923a448030ea0cb1ba150cb55d5"
"1c397fdfd396b1be7e6509613a524ed40ddce7230d55f5db0f674951423fa1e3"
"d2027eb8548c566187bc5a8523563efa6e71430da22144a16dd69f7a7d5b4504"
"e3fa0414ce51a4ab04d7cf5e267a31d213434218fbb2fb91c160dcf6b0a49346"
"15c774dcf1c9ea736db43e54ed125c8001907cb40a9d22591380a78d09288cd8"
"aeb4f3365e02fba85ea10b883b8606ba93f84f197d7b84788cf4897100050e96"
"b0f742e6d903af94ce35821746f27975b82ae97e8c270e0703bcd17ed09971a0"
"0a61e8361fe0be2dc6b80a2ff3ef04ef1439cb3dcb5bc01633cf88a9eacbef1c"
"3a1fb8810c3d4502a47da0528b47ab851a4507486939a298477e5adab5eebe9c"
"93fdfc47a5230ee3af65203ae9cacb0d37cf6599fca3176e533103975f90c0a1"
"f34539f6973192bfdf7a165c8966a07ba9ea5a9678c2a5f0359d3e0732a1cff5"
"2854815d90bddf0ef1c1d3988f414a5c1a9aba27945425826f000540fe2d7026"
"288286017135cdfd4fd27918fc517a2fb1f97a883c2ebf0945355606bc971e0a"
"a2ecb4b44b2f000c208a64ab7c1319268b89d8ef1d45d96b9920680edbc12a72"
"95e8869bfc7211373e78c5e8ba19e3bbf4bee2960cde4213bffb54f4eeb9ec7d"
"7153b82e50b6f7452b4519097f880d968a6eaf6f6ef38cc45a144958e553fbc6"
"5e3fc08bcadce4c6785fc49be686a4a82a356db569f55d411258984e952f194a"
"04dd0236a367865e591927a3810f178e8d33c372ad5bfef48b5ce90d4b476481"
"fe5b2925b2d1fc6254012448c79440dbc6152dedac01c885cc052488534df8f9"
default)))
 '(diary-entry-marker (quote font-lock-variable-name-face))
 '(emms-mode-line-icon-image-cache
   (quote
    (image :type xpm :ascent center :data "/* XPM */
static char *note[] = {
/* width height num_colors chars_per_pixel */
\"    10   11        2            1\",
/* colors */
\". c #358d8d\",
\"# c None s None\",
/* pixels */
\"###...####\",
\"###.#...##\",
\"###.###...\",
\"###.#####.\",
\"###.#####.\",
\"#...#####.\",
\"....#####.\",
\"#..######.\",
\"#######...\",
\"######....\",
\"#######..#\" };")))
 '(fci-rule-color "#3E4451")
 '(global-magit-file-mode t)
 '(gnus-logo-colors (quote ("#0d7b72" "#adadad")))
 '(gnus-mode-line-image-cache
   (quote
    (image :type xpm :ascent center :data "/* XPM */
static char *gnus-pointer[] = {
/* width height num_colors chars_per_pixel */
\"    18    13        2            1\",
/* colors */
\". c #358d8d\",
\"# c None s None\",
/* pixels */
\"##################\",
\"######..##..######\",
\"#####........#####\",
\"#.##.##..##...####\",
\"#...####.###...##.\",
\"#..###.######.....\",
\"#####.########...#\",
\"###########.######\",
\"####.###.#..######\",
\"######..###.######\",
\"###....####.######\",
\"###..######.######\",
\"###########.######\" };")))
 '(hl-paren-background-colors (quote ("#2492db" "#95a5a6" nil)))
 '(hl-paren-colors (quote ("#ecf0f1" "#ecf0f1" "#c0392b")))
 '(hl-sexp-background-color "#efebe9")
 '(js-indent-level 2)
 '(js2-strict-missing-semi-warning nil)
 '(neo-theme (quote nerd))
 '(org-agenda-files
   (quote
    ("~/go/src/github.com/officetehnika/docs/tracking/current.org")))
 '(package-selected-packages
   (quote
    (yaml-mode ace-window spacemacs-theme flatui-dark-theme flatui-theme
atom-dark-theme atom-one-dark-theme basic-theme heroku-theme kosmos-theme
material-theme flx-ido projectile xref-js2 js2-refactor js2-mode
flymake-jshint flymake-jslint flymake-json dired+ git-gutter web-mode
go-rename multiple-cursors scss-mode magit vue-html-mode vue-mode
exec-path-from-shell flymake-go neotree go-autocomplete auto-complete org
go-mode)))
 '(pos-tip-background-color "#1A3734")
 '(pos-tip-foreground-color "#FFFFC8")
 '(sml/active-background-color "#34495e")
 '(sml/active-foreground-color "#ecf0f1")
 '(sml/inactive-background-color "#dfe4ea")
 '(sml/inactive-foreground-color "#34495e")
 '(vc-annotate-background "#f6f0e1")
 '(vc-annotate-color-map
   (quote
    ((20 . "#e43838")
     (40 . "#f71010")
     (60 . "#ab9c3a")
     (80 . "#9ca30b")
     (100 . "#ef8300")
     (120 . "#958323")
     (140 . "#1c9e28")
     (160 . "#3cb368")
     (180 . "#028902")
     (200 . "#008b45")
     (220 . "#077707")
     (240 . "#259ea2")
     (260 . "#358d8d")
     (280 . "#0eaeae")
     (300 . "#2c53ca")
     (320 . "#1111ff")
     (340 . "#2020cc")
     (360 . "#a020f0"))))
 '(vc-annotate-very-old-color "#a020f0"))

;(add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/")
t)      <-------------- commented out because of crashes
;(add-to-list 'load-path
"~/.emacs.d/lisp/")
<-------------- commented out because of crashes
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "Input Mono Narrow 12" ))

(set-face-attribute 'default t :font "Input Mono Narrow 12" )
(setq-default line-spacing 2)

;; set up ido mode
(require 'ido)
(ido-mode 1)
(flx-ido-mode 1)
(setq ido-enable-flex-matching t)
(setq ido-everywhere t)
(setq ido-auto-merge-work-directories-length -1)

;; get rid of some UI
(if (fboundp 'scroll-bar-mode) (scroll-bar-mode -1))
(if (fboundp 'tool-bar-mode) (tool-bar-mode -1))
(if (fboundp 'menu-bar-mode) (menu-bar-mode 1))

;; Ensure the go specific autocomplete is active in go-mode.
(with-eval-after-load 'go-mode
   (require 'go-autocomplete))

;; If the go-guru.el file is in the load path, this will load it.
(require 'go-guru)

;; Load other modules
(load-file "/Users/Suvorau/.emacs.d/variables.el")
(load-file "/Users/Suvorau/.emacs.d/keybindings.el")
(load-file "/Users/Suvorau/.emacs.d/shell-toggle.el")
(load-file "/Users/Suvorau/.emacs.d/funcs.el")
(load-file "/Users/Suvorau/.emacs.d/hooks.el")

(put 'upcase-region 'disabled nil)
(put 'downcase-region 'disabled nil)

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 2:30 PM, Noam Postavsky <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> tags 30288 + moreinfo
> quit
>
> Ihar Suvorau <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > the line below:
> >
> > (add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/")
> > t)
> >
> > in ~/.emacs.d/init.el crashes Emacs on running "M-x list-packages"
>
> Could you include the rest of what you have in init.el please?  The
> other code might well be significant.
>
> With that line just by itself, I get a *Warnings* buffer popup (so I
> guess you have at least a (require 'package) in there to avoid this?)
>
>     Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> ‘/home/npostavs/tmp/tmp-emacs-home/.emacs.d/init.el’:
>
>     Symbol's value as variable is void: package-archives
>
>     To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
>     cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
>     the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace.
>
> M-x list-packages succeeds without cashing regardless of whether I've
> added (require 'package) or not.
>
>