Subject: Re: bug#30288: 25.3; crashes on "add-to-list orgmode.org/elpa"

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 06:30:25 -0500

tags 30288 + moreinfo
quit

Ihar Suvorau <[email-masked]> writes:

> the line below:
>
> (add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/")
> t)
>
> in ~/.emacs.d/init.el crashes Emacs on running "M-x list-packages"

Could you include the rest of what you have in init.el please?  The
other code might well be significant.

With that line just by itself, I get a *Warnings* buffer popup (so I
guess you have at least a (require 'package) in there to avoid this?)

    Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading ‘/home/npostavs/tmp/tmp-emacs-home/.emacs.d/init.el’:

    Symbol's value as variable is void: package-archives

    To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
    cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
    the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace.

M-x list-packages succeeds without cashing regardless of whether I've
added (require 'package) or not.