Subject: [bug#30256] [PATCH 3/3] scripts: environment: Add --no-cwd.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2018 15:44:43 +0100

Hi Mike,

Mike Gerwitz <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Sorry I've been silent on the script you provided to me---between my GNU
> volunteer work and preparing for my LP2018 talk, I've had no free time,
> so I haven't even looked at it yet.  After the conference I'll have the
> time to collaborate a bit more.

Sure, understood!

> Also---I thought the decision was that this patchset was inappropriate
> for `guix environment`; did I misinterpret?

My initial reaction was that we shouldn’t stretch ‘guix environment’ to
do something that’s unrelated to environment management.

However as I looked at your patches, I found that the additions you made
are useful per se (for instance I’ve been wanting ‘--link-profile’ on a
couple of occasions for reasons like the one you gave, Fontconfig,
etc.).  And the patches had tests, documentation, and everything, so it
seemed more beneficial to include them.  :-)

> I admit that I forgot some of the implementation details of my own
> patch; I'd have to look at it in more detail.  I'll consider it tonight
> or this weekend.

OK!

> Thanks for taking a look at and applying these.  If there are better
> solutions, I'm fine with that---I just wanted a proof-of-concept to
> start the discussion.  Though, starting the discussion and then ducking
> out for other obligations wasn't quite what I had in mind...

Sure.  I think the issue of least-authority execution of programs
remains open anway.  Do we want a ‘guix run’-like command?  Something in
the shell, but which shell(s) then?  Automatically-generated wrappers so
we don’t depend on specific shells?

Thanks,
Ludo’.