Subject: bug#30248: Can't build Emacs pretest 26.0.91

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 13:11:11 +0100

Build fails at Linux myname 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.51-3 
(2017-12-13) i686

make-messages below.

Last Emacs built successfully from source here is
GNU Emacs 25.1.91.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5) of 2017-01-02

Please tell if you need further info.

   CC       image.o
   CC       xgselect.o
   CC       terminfo.o
   CC       lastfile.o
make -C ../admin/charsets all
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/admin/charsets'
   GEN      ../../etc/charsets/JISX2131.map
   GEN      charsets.stamp
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/admin/charsets'
make -C ../admin/unidata charscript.el
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/admin/unidata'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'charscript.el'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/admin/unidata'
   CCLD     temacs
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-linux-gnu/4.9/../../../i386-linux-gnu/libgdk-3.so: 
undefined reference to `cairo_surface_set_device_scale'
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-linux-gnu/4.9/../../../i386-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so: 
undefined reference to `cairo_surface_get_device_scale'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:600: recipe for target 'temacs' failed
make[1]: *** [temacs] Error 1
make -C ../admin/charsets cp51932.el
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/admin/charsets'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'cp51932.el'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/admin/charsets'
make -C ../admin/charsets eucjp-ms.el
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/admin/charsets'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'eucjp-ms.el'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/admin/charsets'
make[1]: Target 'all' not remade because of errors.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/src'
Makefile:418: recipe for target 'src' failed
make: *** [src] Error 2
make info-real info-dir
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91'
make -C doc/lispref info
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/doc/lispref'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/doc/lispref'
make -C doc/lispintro info
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/doc/lispintro'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/doc/lispintro'
make -C doc/emacs info
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/doc/emacs'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/doc/emacs'
make -C doc/misc info
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/doc/misc'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91/doc/misc'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'info-dir'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/my-name/emacs-26.0.91'
make: Target 'all' not remade because of errors.