Subject: Re: bug#30246: 25.2.50; auth-source does not support creation or deletion with secrets provider

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 11:11:20 +0100

Allen Li <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Allen,

> auth-source does not support saving secrets with the Secrets API
> backend.  This reduces the usefulness of auth-source significantly
> since keychains that provide secure secret storage using the API are
> standard on many GNU/Linux distributions (e.g., gnome-keyring on
> Ubuntu).

This was reported already some years ago on the emacs-help ML, see
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-06/msg00361.html>. IIRC,
it wasn't trivial to implement, that's why it has lingered around on my
TODO since then.

See also `auth-source-secrets-create' in auth-source.el, which misses
its implementation. And you've got the error message "The Secrets API
auth-source backend doesn't support creation yet".

Since I am working on secrets.el these days anyway due to your other
report bug#29575, chances are good that I'll fix this, finally.

Best regards, Michael.