Subject: bug#30246: closed (Re: bug#30246: 25.2.50; auth-source does not support creation or deletion with secrets provider)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 14:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30246: 25.2.50; auth-source does not support creation or deletion with secrets provider

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30246: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30246
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30246: 25.2.50; auth-source does not support creation or deletion with secrets provider
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Allen Li <[email-masked]>
Cc: Allen Li <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 16:09:54 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 27.1

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Allen,

>>> Could you test it by any chance in Emacs 27? If not, I'll close the
>>> bug. You could still report later if it doesn't work as expected.
>>
>> It looks like secret creation works now, however I can't seem to
>> retrieve the secret.  I can file a separate bug for that if you want.
>
> Yes, please do.

There's now bug#32725 for that problem. I'm closing this bug, therefore.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 25.2.50; auth-source does not support creation or deletion with secrets provider
From: Allen Li <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 16:56:26 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

auth-source does not support saving secrets with the Secrets API
backend.  This reduces the usefulness of auth-source significantly
since keychains that provide secure secret storage using the API are
standard on many GNU/Linux distributions (e.g., gnome-keyring on
Ubuntu).

(auth-source-search :type 'secrets :max 1
                    :host "localhost"
                    :user "user"
                    :create '(secret user host))

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (cl-assertion-failed ((not create) "The
Secrets API auth-source backend doesn't support creation yet"))
  cl--assertion-failed((not create) "The Secrets API auth-source
backend doesn't support creation yet" nil nil)
  auth-source-secrets-search(:backend
[eieio-class-tag--auth-source-backend secrets "Login" t t t nil
auth-source-secrets-create auth-source-secrets-search] :type secrets
:max 1 :require nil :create (secret user host) :delete nil :type
secrets :max 1 :host "localhost" :user "user" :create (secret user
host))
  apply(auth-source-secrets-search :backend
[eieio-class-tag--auth-source-backend secrets "Login" t t t nil
auth-source-secrets-create auth-source-secrets-search] :type secrets
:max 1 :require nil :create (secret user host) :delete nil (:type
secrets :max 1 :host "localhost" :user "user" :create (secret user
host)))
  auth-source-search-backends(([eieio-class-tag--auth-source-backend
secrets "Login" t t t nil auth-source-secrets-create
auth-source-secrets-search]) (:type secrets :max 1 :host "localhost"
:user "user" :create (secret user host)) 1 (secret user host) nil nil)
  auth-source-search(:type secrets :max 1 :host "localhost" :user
"user" :create (secret user host))
  eval((auth-source-search :type (quote secrets) :max 1 :host
"localhost" :user "user" :create (quote (secret user host))) nil)
  elisp--eval-last-sexp(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  funcall-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil)
  #<subr call-interactively>(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
  apply(#<subr call-interactively> eval-last-sexp (nil nil))
  call-interactively@ido-cr+-record-current-command(#<subr
call-interactively> eval-last-sexp nil nil)
  apply(call-interactively@ido-cr+-record-current-command #<subr
call-interactively> (eval-last-sexp nil nil))
  call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-last-sexp)