Subject: Re: bug#30243: 26.0.91; Infinite recursion in `make-auto-save-file-name' for quoted filenames

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 19:07:17 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> Actually, looking at Bug#29579 again, it doesn't seem *that* bad, and as
>> far as I can tell, it has existed for a long time (still occurs back in
>> 24.3).  So reverting that fix seems like a reasonable option too.  I can
>> confirm that doing so fixes this bug.
>
> I tend to agree.  Michael, WDYT?

Noam is right. The bug exist "since ever", and it wasn't detected in the
wild but when I was working on my tramp-tests. So it might be OK to
revert it in the emacs-26 branch.

> So if Michael agrees, I think we should revert the fix for bug#29579
> on the release branch, and merge the branch you two worked on onto
> master.

Agreed. I expect some broken tests in tramp-tests then (IIRC, copy-file
and rename-file were affected). I will skip those tests for Emacs 26,
immediately after the revert has happened. Pls ping me when it is
reverted.

Best regards, Michael.