Subject: Re: bug#30243: 26.0.91; Infinite recursion in `make-auto-save-file-name' for quoted filenames

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 17:11:17 -0500

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 6:01 AM, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Thanks! I've fixed this in filenotify.el (in fact, the underlying watch
> descriptor should not use quoted file names). Patch pushed to the branch.

Ah, makes sense.

>       (equal
>        ("/:/tmp/emacsqk0Dcl~")
>        ("/:/tmp/emacsqk0Dcl.~1~"))

> I guess, it is because I have set `version-control' to t in my .emacs
> (not investigated further).

Hmm, couldn't reproduce here, but it looks like a bug (although not as
severe as the inf loop stuff).

I've tried running the tests on w32, and discovered I missed testing
file-newer-than-file-p with both args quoted. There's also some
apparently w32-specific trouble with dired-compress-file and
insert-directory (although looking at the code, I'm not entirely sure
why dired-compress-file passed on GNU/Linux). I pushed 2 more patches
to fix file-newer-than-file-p and avoid the test w32 errors.

I'm thinking also the massive test needs to be split up, as it's a bit
unwieldy. Having one test per operation almost seems like overkill,
but I think it will make it easier to check we've covered everything,
so I'll probably go with that.