Subject: bug#3022: 23.0.92; triangle images in Customize buffers are just plain bad

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:37:29 -0700

emacs -Q
 
While the idea behind the triangles (arrows) in Customize is good
(actually, I believe it was I who suggested it), the current effect is
quite bad.
 
If the value is shown, then the triangle points downward. Typically,
that symbol means that clicking it will display something additional
below the symbol. Instead, the value disappears.
 
If the value is not shown, the the symbol is a right-pointing
triangle. That's OK in this case, since it suggests that clicking it
will display something to the right, and the value is to the right.
 
However, for the symbol that replaces `More', a right-pointing
triangle is inappropriate, since the text is not displayed to its
right, but below it.
 
After you click the symbol, the cursor stays on top of the symbol
graphic, which produces the effect of a blinking filled rectangle
around the symbol. And if the buffer is not selected, a nonblinking
hollow rectangle appears around the symbol. Not good.
 
In general: These two triangle symbols don't form a natural pair:
they are not both horizontal or both vertical. An arrow needs to
point toward what it indicates, which is not what's happening now.
 
If you can't get this right using arrows, just use [+] and [-]. They
have no implied directionality. They will be quite clear.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.92.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-03-30 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'