Subject: Re: bug#3021: 23.0.92; MEM FULL on Windows after some VC operations

From: Reiner Steib <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 12:31:45 +0200

On Tue, Apr 21 2009, Jason Rumney wrote:

> Reiner Steib wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 16 2009, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Unless I'm missing something, looks like something might be wrong with
>>> how we discover available memory on Windows: how come a process with a
>>> 400MB memory footprint says MEM FULL on a 3GB machine?
>>
>> Ideas anyone?
>>
>> Can I help with more information?
>
> Can you find the location where that message is emitted, and put a breakpoint
> there. When the bug next happens, have a look at the tests leading up to the
> decision to display the message and see if you can see anything amiss.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been on vacation for a few weeks and
busy at work otherwise.

On Thu, May 21 2009, Chong Yidong wrote:
> If you can reproduce this bug, could you try to investigate?  A
> backtrace would be useful.

I can (or better say could with 23.0.92 - haven't tried newer
pretests) reproduce the problem.  I'll try the most recent pretest
next week.

But at work (where the windows box lives) I don't have a debugger
installed and I don't now what I need to install/download to get a
working debugging environment for Emacs on Windows Vista.  So it will
take me quite a lot of time to figure out what is required and to set
it up.  In etc/DEBUG I can only see instructions for Microsoft Visual
C++, or am I missing something?

- What do I need to install to debug a MinGW/MSYS build (Jason's
  build) on MS Vista?

- To put a breakpoint, of course I need to install the Emacs sources.
  How do I have to combine the source (emacs-*.tar.gz) and the binary
  (windows/emacs-*-bin-i386.zip) correctly?

- Jason suggested: "find the location where that message is emitted,
  and put a breakpoint there"...

  Can someone assist me with this?  I'm not familiar with Emacs' C
  code. From rgrep on 'MEM.FULL\|memory_full' it's not obvious for me
  which would be the right function.

Bye, Reiner.
-- 
       ,,,
      (o o)
---ooO-(_)-Ooo---  |  PGP key available  |  http://rsteib.home.pages.de/