Subject: Re: bug#30204: 27.0.50; Changing major mode resets non-default invisibility spec

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 16:01:41 +1300

On 2021-10-11 12:26, Richard Stallman wrote:
> How about Vow of Poverty mode or just Poverty mode?
> (Poverty is having no properties.)

Neat, albeit unlikely to help anyone to find it.  I suspect it might
be considered to be in poor taste though (it needn't be interpreted as
such, but I think it has potential to be).

I agree that "clean" has no particular association with a lack of text
properties, and I think Juri's suggestion:

> Since it strips all text properties, then maybe 'stripped-mode'.

is little different to "clean" -- anything can be stripped of anything,
so there's no obvious reason why "text properties" should come to mind.

> can complete from only 2 or 3 characters.

Is it very important to optimise for this, in this particular case?

I think that "no-properties" is sufficiently well-established
terminology that incorporating that into the mode name would at least
make it very easy to discover.

Index entries that match ‘no-properties’:

* buffer-substring-no-properties [Index]: Buffer Contents. (line 38)
* field-string-no-properties [Index]:    Fields. (line 61)
* insert-buffer-substring-no-properties [Index]: Insertion. (line 94)
* match-string-no-properties [Index]:    Simple Match Data. (line 53)
* minibuffer-contents-no-properties [Index]: Minibuffer Contents. (line 
27)
* substring-no-properties [Index]:       Creating Strings. (line 101)

(thing-at-point THING &optional NO-PROPERTIES)
(buffer-substring-with-bidi-context START END &optional NO-PROPERTIES)
(line-substring-with-bidi-context START END &optional NO-PROPERTIES)

If someone is looking for related concepts, it's likely where they
would start.

A bit awkward/boring maybe, but probably still a good option.

-Phil