Subject: Re: bug#30190: 27.0.50; term run in line mode shows user passwords

From: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 12:37:42 +0900 (JST)

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018, Noam Postavsky wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 9:23 PM, Tino Calancha <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>> Doesn't look like that much of a risk to me: the user immediately sees
>>> the problem, so it's more of a minor nuisance.
>>
>> It depends of the situation.  Few years ago, my boss watched my password
>> because this thing; if the password would be an offensive word
>> against him (it wasn't, he was nice) I could be fired.  I remember he
>> mnetioned very proudly that in vi editor the password is always hidden...
>>
>> This is also a risk while pair-programming; recently I am doing a lot with
>> several buddies.  I suspect one of my passwords might be compromised.
>
> But why wouldn't you just switch to char-mode before entering your
> password? (which is kind of annoying to have to do, but still)
Because I am so focused in the coding task on hands that I hardly can
remember this password thing.

Such bookeeping is not a human task, it must be done by computers. Like 
remember aniversaries: most of the people use tools to remember that its 
your birthday.