Subject: bug#30190: 27.0.50; term run in line mode shows user passwords

From: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 06:08:26 +0900 (JST)

On Sun, 21 Jan 2018, Noam Postavsky wrote:

> Yes, seems to have been the case for a long time, I can reproduce back
> to 24.3 (oldest Emacs version I have running).
It's even worse; the password is stored in the history of commands; after 
introduce the password 'M-p' will show it.

>> * If you run the terminal in char modem then the password is not shown.
>> * If you run a dumb shell instead, then the password is read from the
>>   minibuffer with `send-invisible', thereby the password is not shown.
>
> What do you mean by "dumb shell"?
I mean this:
M-x shell RET
sudo ls
;; Here password is read (invisible) from the minibuffer. You still can
jump to the *shell* buffer and input th epasword there; in that case
the password is visible, but as longer as you input it from the minibuffer
everything is OK.