Subject: bug#30190: 27.0.50; term run in line mode shows user passwords

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 11:54:46 -0400

>> More specifically, shouldn't `read-passwd` do that for us (hence if it
>> doesn't yet, then the right patch is to add this let-binding to
>> `read-passwd`)?
> I don't think so.  `read-passwd' uses ?. as default.  The docstring suggest
> us to let-bind `read-hide-char' in case we wish another char.

But why does term-mode want to use a different char?
What's so different about term-mode?

> Alternatively we could use ?. always as default, and change
> `term-send-invisble'.

I don't understand what change to term-send-invisble you're thinking of.

> Personaly, I prefer ?* because my vision is quite poor and ?. looks too
> small :-|

But your vision is not poor only in term-mode, right?
So, what you're really saying here is that you'd like to change
read-passwd to use ?* instead of ?., isn't it?  If so, I have nothing
against it, but it's a separate concern from that of bug#30190 and it
should apply to all uses of read-passwd.

        Stefan