Subject: Re: bug#30190: 27.0.50; term run in line mode shows user passwords

From: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 12:34:15 +0900 (JST)

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I'd prefer to re-use comint code rather than copy it.  Copying might be
> tolerable for term-watch-for-password-prompt (it could conceivably
> require adjustments for the context of term-mode), but it's out of the
> question for term-password-prompt-regexp.
>
>> My patch just tried to mimic what is done in `comint.el' and reproduce
>> it in `term.el'.  My hope was that the patch would be accepted frictionless:
>> if it's already done in `comint.el', why not doing the same in `term.el'?
>
> I'm not a great fan of the hooks in comint (tho I must say I haven't
> come up with anything really better either).
>
> And to the extent that you can set *-password-prompt-regexp
> buffer-locally in order to prevent *-watch-for-password-prompt from
> getting in the way, I don't see much benefit of going through a hook.
> [ The hook might be beneficial in itself, with a nil default value, but
>  that's a different discussion.  ]

Thank you for the feedback!

When my current mundane duties (cooking, studying, cleaning, grocery, 
jogging, take care of my cat and cactus, etc) offer me a break,
I will prepare a new patch (not sure when I will find the time, 
hopefully soon):

* It will recycle (require) `comint.el', i.e., it will use 
`comint-password-prompt-regexp'.

* It will use the hook strategy until someone comes with something 
smarter.