Subject: bug#30186: 27.0.50; Password is not hidden in read-passwd

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 20:00:27 +0000

Good evening, Eli.

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 21:08:24 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 18:37:02 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]

> > The problem here appears to be a fundamental design bug in Emacs: that
> > text properties are regarded as part of the buffer rather than something
> > accompanying the buffer, as overlays are.

> It's not a bug, it's a feature (and a very important one).

Yes.  We see its utility in read-passwd.  But don't worry, I wasn't
proposing to "fix" it.  :-)

Do you have any opinion on my suggestion:

> > Perhaps an alternative would be for Emacs to provide a flag which
> > indicates to a before/after-change-function whether the current
> > change is a "proper" change or merely a text property change.
> > Change hook functions could then test this flag and, for example,
> > refrain from doing anything for a text property change.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).