Subject: bug#30182: Update

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 21:05:48 +0100

>>   > So if using a string instead of a function the returns a string solves
 >>   > the problem, then I guess we should try and understand why a function
 >>   > causes the problem.
 >>
 >> Apparently because evaluating that function creates a timer.
 >
 > You mean, mode-line-default-help-echo creates a timer?  If it does, I
 > don't see where it does that.

Sorry.  I meant `w3m-modeline-title' creates a timer when trying to
shorten the title.  In order to do that it has to run
`format-mode-line' first which calls `mode-line-default-help-echo'.

 > What I don't understand is how is the above :eval form related to
 > mode-line-default-help-echo.  They are both properties of parts of the
 > mode line, but how is that relevant to the issue at hand?

Because if it's not done, the crash doesn't happen according to the
OP:

   If I change the default value of w3m-use-title-buffer-name and
   set it to non-nil, then the crash doesn't seem to happen.

martin