Subject: bug#30148: 26.0.91; EWW binding for `r'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 00:29:08 +0200

[email-masked] (Charles A. Roelli) writes:

> Normally `l' and `r' in "EWW" go back and forward through the buffer's
> history.  But when point is on an image (or, oddly, a link -- see
> below), `r' instead runs `image-rotate'.  Since there are quite some
> keys left unbound in both eww-mode-map and in shr-image-map, one of
> these bindings should budge.

You can have images in other buffers, too, and the `r' for "rotate"
seems very natural.  And `r' for "return" is a generally accepted
command in many Emacs modes, so I don't really know which one to change.

> Also, I do not understand why eww-link-keymap is a copy of
> shr-image-map, when so many commands that could apply to images do not
> apply to links:
>
>   (defvar eww-link-keymap
>     (let ((map (copy-keymap shr-image-map)))
>       (define-key map "\r" 'eww-follow-link)
>       map))

It's presumably to have the image commands not disappear if there's an
image in a link.  Too bad Emacs doesn't have a way to add several local
keymaps using text properties...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no