Subject: 27.0.50; scan-sexps and ##

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 19:09:43 +0100

Hello,

Insert into *scratch*

  (list ##)

and put point at the beginning of "##".  Then eval M-:

  (goto-char (scan-sexps (point) 1))

and you get

| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (scan-error "Containing expression ends prematurely" 154 155)
|   scan-sexps(152 1)
|   (goto-char (scan-sexps (point) 1))
|   eval((goto-char (scan-sexps (point) 1)) t)
|   eval-expression((goto-char (scan-sexps (point) 1)) nil nil 127)
|   funcall-interactively(eval-expression (goto-char (scan-sexps (point) 1)) nil nil 127)
|   call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)
|   command-execute(eval-expression)

Expected is that the scan doesn't fail.

## is the rarely used representation of an interned symbol named with
the empty string.  My problem is that where it is used (like in
"org-list.el"), el-search.el gets into trouble.

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 17, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.26)
 of 2018-01-15 built on drachen
Repository revision: 55a83102629d597eb172e91698578930ff193c5d
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11905000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux testing (buster)