Subject: bug#30116: [PATCH] `substitute' crashes when file contains NUL characters (core-updates))

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 15:37:54 +0100

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> From 9891e428eae0ed24e0d61862b3f5e298606b79eb Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 20:31:33 -0500
> Subject: [PATCH] utils: Prevent substitute from crashing on files containing
>  NUL chars.
>
> Fixes issue #30116.
>
> * guix/build/utils.scm (substitute): Add condition to skip lines containing
> the NUL character.

[...]

> +           ((string-contains line (make-string 1 #\nul))

Rather (string-index line #\nul).

> +            ;; The regexp functions of the GNU C library (which Guile uses)
> +            ;; cannot deal with NUL characters, so skip to the next line.
> +            (format #t "skipping line with NUL characters: ~s\n" line)
> +            (loop (read-line in 'concat)))

Rather (format (current-error-port) …).

It’s strange semantics, but it’s probably better than crashing in the
contexts where we use it.

Otherwise LGTM.  This would have to go to the next ‘core-updates’ (or
‘core-updates-next’ in the meantime.)

Thanks!

Ludo’.