Subject: Re: bug#30080: 24.5; write-region can reset idle time

From: Cecil Westerhof <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 15:37:49 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Cecil Westerhof <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:36:15 +0100
>> 
>> > desktop-save-mode writes the desktop file from time to time, and it
>> > uses an idle timer, so I think this explains that.
>> 
>> I have two problems with that:
>> - I do not think that it is done every minute, or less. And the reset
>>   is done on the moment of the write-region of my command. So does not
>>   directly relate to the writing of the desktop file.
>
> desktop.el auto-saves when something in the window/buffer
> configuration changes, no matter how frequently that happens.  The
> idle timer run by desktop.el uses the same timeout value as auto-save,
> which is 30 sec by default.  Maybe these facts will allow you to find
> out why desktop-save-mode has that effect.

But it is not desktop-save-mode that does it. As long as I do no
write-region the idle-time is not reset. So desktop-save-mode does not
reset idle time, but desktop-save-mode makes write region reset idle
time.

>> - Before 19 December I did not have this behaviour. So it started
>>   after an update. It did not work like this for more as five years,
>>   but started the 19th of December 2017.
>
> I guess you will have to find out what changed with that update.  No
> one else except yourself can do that.  Maybe it's some change in the
> kernel, or in glibc, or in inotify.

Well, I have to ask on the Debian mailing list then.

> FWIW, I cannot reproduce your problem, neither in "emacs -Q" nor if I
> turn on global-auto-revert-mode or desktop-save-mode, neither on
> GNU/Linux nor on MS-Windows.  So this is most probably something
> specific to your system.

I just tried it on an Ubuntu system and I get the same results.

> What is the value of system-configuration-features in that build, btw?
> Maybe some of the features is responsible for that, and my builds are
> without it.

How do I get that?

-- 
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
M [email-masked]

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/cecilwesterhof