Subject: Re: bug#30078: 27.0.50; Use lexical-binding for M-:

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 21:34:10 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 13:19:52 -0500
> 
> I very much hope to see Emacs shed its dynbind-Elisp support at some
> point, tho it still seems to be a pretty distant future and I'm not even
> sure how we'll get to that point.

It's quite clear that these are your views, but going in that
direction should be an explicit project-wide decision, widely agreed
and accepted by main project contributors.  Doing it one subtle step
at a time is not the right way, IMO.  If and when such a decision is
made, we would not need to have these discussions, we could simply go
lexical-bind as quickly as it's practical.

My comments in this thread are largely because I feel uneasy about
this undeclared policy for quite some time.

For the record, I have nothing against making lexical-binding the
default, if that's what everybody wants.