Subject: Re: bug#30059: 25.3; Wrong value for comint-process-echoes will cause comint-send-input to hang

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2020 19:36:36 +0100

Allen Li <[email-masked]> writes:

> If comint-process-echoes is set to t and the subprocess does not echo
> input (e.g., Bash depending on configuration), comint-send-input (RET)
> will hang on a long-running process that does not write output.
>
> comint should remove the echoed input line asynchronously.

(This bug report unfortunately got no response at the time.)

This behaviour is still present in Emacs 28...  but is it a bug?  It's a
setting that's supposed to be used if the shell echoes the inputs, and
you're not supposed to use it if that's not the case.

Recipe to reproduce:

emacs -Q -f shell
M-: (setq comint-process-echoes t)
sleep 10

I'm leaning towards this working as intended.  Any opinions?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no