Subject: Re: bug#30044: Emacs: Gud-mode: Debugging with gud: Window switching problem

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 20:44:01 +0200

> Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 13:33:11 +0100
> From: Claus Fischer <[email-masked]>
> 
> A few years ago, I filed a bug about debugging unter Emacs with
> gud and gdb.
> 
> The problem is that often times when a halt at a breakpoint requires
> a source file to load, the source file replaces the *gud-something*
> buffer, which is extremely disruptive to the work flow. One expects
> to continue typing in gud but finds oneself instead typing into some
> source file buffer.

How do you invoke GDB?  Is it "M-x gdb RET" or "M-x gud-gdb RET"?  I
suggest to try the former, and if you already do that, try the command
"M-x gdb-many-windows RET" after the debugging session starts.  I also
suggest to start the debugger in a separate frame, and switch to the
original frame when you want to work on your windows you had before
starting the debugging session.