Subject: Emacs: Gud-mode: Debugging with gud: Window switching problem

From: Claus Fischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 13:33:11 +0100

Package: emacs
Version: all recent

Dear Emacs maintainers!

A few years ago, I filed a bug about debugging unter Emacs with
gud and gdb.

The problem is that often times when a halt at a breakpoint requires
a source file to load, the source file replaces the *gud-something*
buffer, which is extremely disruptive to the work flow. One expects
to continue typing in gud but finds oneself instead typing into some
source file buffer.

After more careful observation, I think that this problem occurs
especially when there's another * buffer, particularly the
*compilation* buffer, present.

This often occurs in my work setting: I fix a bug by editing the file,
I let emacs recompile (run make), I load the new binary into the
debugger and run it again.

Please forward this information to the gud-mode maintainers,
it might be helpful, and it might help many people who find this
behaviour quite disturbing.

Best regards

Claus

-- 
Claus Fischer <[email-masked]>
http://www.clausfischer.com/