Subject: Re: bug#30043: 25.3; C-M-e inserts euro character

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 18:52:25 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 17:42:59 +0200
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], 
> 	Ilya Zakharevich <[email-masked]>
> 
> Thanks for writing back.  It was not my intention to close a
> legitimate bug; reopened it now.  I've been investigating this a bit,
> and it seems like this new keyboard handling code was introduced due
> to deficiencies in the old one.  See:
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19994
> See also the possibly related: https://debbugs.gnu.org/bug=23251

Of course, we made that change to make keyboard input better on
MS-Windows.  And it _is_ better now than it was before.

> If it's the case that this change breaks M-C-e on all Swedish
> keyboards on MS-Windows

I don't think this is the case.  C-M-e does in Emacs exactly what it
should do, it just doesn't do what it does in other applications,
i.e. insert the Euro symbol.  But why should C-M-e do that in Sweden,
when it doesn't do that in other locales?  It sounds like Emacs
behaves consistently here.

> At the very least, it makes sense to me that the doc string should
> be improved as Tomas suggests, and possibly also that the workaround
> should be documented in e.g. etc/PROBLEMS.

I have nothing against mentioning this quirk in PROBLEMS, of course.
Although I don't really agree this is a "problem".

> Eli, what do you think?  I've also Cc:ed Ilya Zakharevich in the hope
> that he will be able to help.

If Ilya can look into this and explain what's going on, it would be
great, of course.