Subject: Re: bug#30043: 25.3; C-M-e inserts euro character

From: Tomas Nordin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 22:49:32 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Tomas Nordin <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 22:06:49 +0100
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > I cannot reproduce this here, C-M-e in Emacs doesn't insert €.
>> 
>> Does C-M-e insert € in some other editor for you?
>
> Yes, Word does.  In any case, what other editors do should not be
> relevant for Emacs.
>
>> >> I don't know what should be the correct behavior, but do prefer
>> >> C-M-e to run the command end-of-defun
>> >
>> > Invoking end-of-defun is the correct behavior, and that's what it does
>> > for me.
>> 
>> Tomorrow I will check if num lock has something to do with it, I read
>> something about that on the web. Still, strange that it happens in 25
>> but not in 24.
>
> I have consistently correct behavior in Emacs here.  Do you perhaps
> have some optional software or Windows feature installed/activated
> that produces the Euro in Emacs?

Not that I know of. Here is some information on the numeric keypad
thing:

./emacs-24.5/bin/runemacs.exe -Q
fundamental mode
Trying C-M-e with num key lit: end-of-defun is run
Trying C-M-e with num key un-lit: end-of-defun is run

./emacs-25.3_1/bin/runemacs.exe -Q
fundamental mode
Trying C-M-e with num key lit: € is inserted
Trying C-M-e with num key un-lit: € is inserted

So it had no impact.

Also, on this keyboard the $ sign is on numeric key 4 and @ character is
on key 2. They get inserted by C-M-4 and C-M-2 respectively in the
Notepad editor for example, (simalar to the C-M-e event). The same is
true on my neighbours computer. Thats news to me, I usually use "alt gr
+ 2" for example to insert @. So one could maybe think that those
key-strokes are in the danger zone as well but in both emacs versions
the effect is

C-M-2 runs the command digit-argument
C-M-4 runs the command digit-argument

no insertion of @ or $.