Subject: [bug#30042] [PATCH 1/1] gnu: Add rct.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:36:25 +0100

Hullo again,

Fis Trivial wrote on 12/01/18 at 15:48:
> I found it from `M-x guix-all-available-packages` in Emacs. For examples:
> limnoria, pianobar

In the case of limnoria[0] and pianobar[1], the version numbers were
assigned upstream. I couldn't find any evidence that rct is versioned at
all, but I might not have looked close enough. Do let me know if that's
the case.

If we choose an arbitrary commit and call it 2017.12.09, we'll be in
trouble when/if rct 1.0.0 is ever released: according to Guix (and
maths), 1 < 2017 and hence not an upgrade. Is that more clear?

> But I will change it to "0.0.0-1.b3e6f41", is it ok?

Perfect! The git-version procedure will do that for you.

>>> +    (description "Rct is a set of C++ tools that provide nicer (more Qt-like)
>>> + APIs on top of stl classes.")
>>
>> s|stl|Standard Template Library (@dfn{STL})|
> 
> I don't quite understand what do you mean by this line. English is not
> my mother tongue. Are you expecting me to replace "stl" with this
> line?

Oops. It's not English, it's sed(1): ‘s|a|b|’ means ‘replace the first
occurence of a with b’. ‘|’ can be any character that doesn't occur in
string a or b.

I agree it's not obvious or welcoming to everyone. Old habits die hard.

It goes back to the early days of Unix and is commonly used in these
situations since it's relatively unambiguous and (the real reason) a lot
shorter to type than ‘Please replace...’.

> Is this a suitable description:
> 
>       (description "Rct is a set of C++ tools that provide nicer (more Qt-like)
>  APIs on top of Standard Template Library classes.")

Keep both:

     (description "Rct is a set of C++ tools that provide nicer (more
Qt-like)
APIs on top of Standard Template Library (@dfn{STL}) classes.")

@dfn{} is Texinfo for ‘a term that is defined in the surrounding text’.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/limnoria/2017.10.01
[1]: https://6xq.net/pianobar/pianobar-2017.08.30.tar.bz2