Subject: bug#30039: closed (Re: bug#30039: 26.0.90; [26.1] Making my code warning free is impossible with when-let)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 15:13:01 +0000

Your bug report

#30039: 26.0.90; [26.1] Making my code warning free is impossible with when-let

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30039: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30039
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30039: 26.0.90; [26.1] Making my code warning free is impossible with when-let
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 16:12:31 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Damien Cassou <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:
> > In the meantime, Stefan Monnier has brought up the issue again in
> > emacs-dev.  In that discussion we have come to the conclusion that
> > we want to make when-let and if-let aliases for when-let* and
> > if-let* in Emacs 26.  Should happen in the next days.
>
> I'm happy. Thank you!

I've now installed an according change into emacs-26 (I hope it wasn't
too late for this change to be accepted in the release branch).

Thanks for bringing this up.  Closing.

Regards,

Michael.

Subject: 26.0.90; [26.1] Making my code warning free is impossible with when-let
From: Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 08:27:02 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I try to make all my packages warning free by setting
byte-compile-error-on-warn and running the byte compiler during
continuous integration. I do that for both Emacs 25 and Emacs 26. This
has become impossible with Emacs 26 because when-let is deprecated but
it’s replacement does not exist in Emacs 25.

I can think of two solutions to make my life easier (and potentially
other package maintainers who care about code quality):

- introduce when-let* (and if-let*) in Emacs 25; or

- un-deprecate when-let (and if-let) in Emacs 26 and re-deprecate it
  later.

Best

-- 
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill