Subject: Re: bug#30039: 26.0.90; [26.1] Making my code warning free is impossible with when-let

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 15:40:22 -0500

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 3:26 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 15:00:30 -0500
>> Cc: [email-masked], Nicolas Petton <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Here's a finished version of the patch. Eli, is it okay for emacs-26?
>
> Why is this new feature is urgent or important enough to have it in
> Emacs 26?

It's urgent, because it has to be in 26.1 in order to solve the
problem in the OP. More generally, if we introduce the feature in 26.1
in can be useful for suppressing warnings from 26.1 and up, whereas if
we delay it until 27, then it won't be helpful for things marked
obsolete in 26.1. So the timing of when we add it directly affects the
usefulness.

On the other hand, it's maybe not that important, as the problem is
only a warning, and there are other ways of suppressing it (e.g., what
I suggested in #11).