Subject: Re: bug#30039: 26.0.90; [26.1] Making my code warning free is impossible with when-let

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 14:05:57 -0800

Nicolas Petton <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> And releasing another Emacs 25.x, even if we decide to do that, will
>> change nothing, because users of Emacs 25.3 and older will still have
>> the same problem.
>
> That's true, I didn't propose to do that.
>
>> And frankly, a few byte-compilation warnings are not such a
>> catastrophe, we have many dozens of them when we build Emacs.
>
> It's definitely not a big deal, but I mentioned the issue with CI &
> linting as I think issues like this one could be in the way of their
> adoption by package authors.

I removed uses of when-let from my packages altogether, just because I
was being OCD about the compiler warnings. I've encountered no other
functions where the introduction-deprecation-removal cycle has been so
tight that I have to choose between compiler warnings on the one hand,
or multiple users running an Emacs without the function, on the other.

I agree it's not a big deal, for all the reasons already brought up, but
it was a bit of a frustration.

My 0.5¢,
Eric