Subject: bug#30039: 26.0.90; [26.1] Making my code warning free is impossible with when-let

From: Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 13:13:44 +0100

Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> writes:
> Since we don't have a time machine, this seems impractical (or if you
> mean release 25.4 just for this, kind of overkill).

I would also like a time machine but I was more referring to a new
release of Emacs 25.

>> - un-deprecate when-let (and if-let) in Emacs 26 and re-deprecate it
>>   later.
>
> When is "later"?  Wouldn't the problem remain indefinitely?

That’s a question we need to answer. I think supporting 2 releases would
already be good (i.e., 26.1 does not deprecate but 26.2 does).

> It kind of sounds like this is suggestion means Emacs could no longer
> deprecate anything.

I’m all in favor of deprecation. This is important to move forward.

-- 
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill