Subject: bug#30018: gzip-1.9 released [stable]

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2018 16:14:29 -0800

This is to announce gzip-1.9, a stable release.

There have been 53 commits by 2 people in the 89 weeks since 1.8.
Thanks to Paul Eggert for all of his help.

See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!
The following people contributed changes to this release:

  Jim Meyering (28)
  Paul Eggert (25)

Jim [on behalf of the gzip maintainers]
==================================================================

Here is the GNU gzip home page:
    http://gnu.org/s/gzip/

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:
  http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gzip.git;a=shortlog;h=v1.9
or run this command from a git-cloned gzip directory:
  git shortlog v1.8..v1.9

To summarize the 983 gnulib-related changes, run these commands
from a git-cloned gzip directory:
  git checkout v1.9
  git submodule summary v1.8

==============================
Here are the compressed sources:
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.9.tar.gz   (1.2MB)
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.9.tar.xz   (748KB)

Here are the GPG detached signatures[*]:
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.9.tar.gz.sig
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.9.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
  https://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

  gpg --verify gzip-1.9.tar.gz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 7FD9FCCB000BEEEE

and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
  Autoconf 2.69.193-8974
  Automake 1.15a
  Gnulib v0.1-1744-g7e7c5c795

==============================
NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 1.9 (2018-01-07) [stable]

** Bug fixes

  gzip -d -S SUFFIX file.SUFFIX would fail for any upper-case byte in SUFFIX.
  E.g., before, this command would fail:
    $ :|gzip > kT && gzip -d -S T kT
    gzip: kT: unknown suffix -- ignored
  [bug present since the beginning]

  When decompressing data in 'pack' format, gzip no longer mishandles
  leading zeros in the end-of-block code.  [bug introduced in gzip-1.6]

  When converting from system-dependent time_t format to the 32-bit
  unsigned MTIME format used in gzip files, if a timestamp does not
  fit gzip now substitutes zero instead of the timestamp's low-order
  32 bits, as per Internet RFC 1952.  When converting from MTIME to
  time_t format, if a timestamp does not fit gzip now warns and
  substitutes the nearest in-range value instead of crashing or
  silently substituting an implementation-defined value (typically,
  the timestamp's low-order bits).  This affects timestamps before
  1970 and after 2106, and timestamps after 2038 on platforms with
  32-bit signed time_t.  [bug present since the beginning]

  Commands implemented via shell scripts are now more consistent about
  failure status.  For example, 'gunzip --help >/dev/full' now
  consistently exits with status 1 (error), instead of with status 2
  (warning) on some platforms.  [bug present since the beginning]

  Support for VMS and Amiga has been removed.  It was not working anyway,
  and it reportedly caused file name glitches on MS-Windowsish platforms.

Also posted as:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=9049