Subject: 25.3; WoMan can no longer read OpenSSH man pages

From: "xemdetia ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 11:32:20 -0500

Run emacs -Q --execute '(woman "ssh_config")'. System is running Debian
9 with openssh-server package 7.4p1-10+deb9u2. It's dying in
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/woman.el#n2281.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-11-20 built on commander
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 9.3 (stretch)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/emacs-25.3'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Building list of manual directory expansions...
Building completion list of all manual topics...
uncompressing ssh_config.5.gz...done
WoMan formatting buffer...
woman-decode-region: WoMan can only format man pages written with the usual
‘-man’ macros
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils
disp-table view jka-compr woman cl-extra help-mode man easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib ansi-color time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 121139 4967)
 (symbols 48 20368 0)
 (miscs 40 49 146)
 (strings 32 23609 4539)
 (string-bytes 1 556396)
 (vectors 16 12732)
 (vector-slots 8 445784 5101)
 (floats 8 169 13)
 (intervals 56 195 0)
 (buffers 976 20))